- Putting urgency over understanding your target market. Many small businesses focus more on getting the website up, instead of taking the time to tailor it towards their target audience.
- The Design is too busy or flashy. In order to be successful on the internet, the focus needs to be on marketing the website – not a flashy design. Also, flashy websites are difficult to navigate on mobile phones and tablets.
- No clear call to action. It is important to give your web site visitors direction. If you would like your website visitors to do a specific action, let them know, while also instilling a sense of urgency.
- Paying too little or too much. It is important to find a web design company that understands you, your product, and your standard of quality.
- Stale, out-of-date content. It is important to update your website and business blog fairly often. Lack of updates may make customers assume you’re no longer in business.
- Trying to target everyone. It’s important to best figure out your most frequent users and focus on creating the best possible experience for them. By trying to please all potential customers, you are more likely to please none.
- Taking the DIY route. Don’t allow your customer to make assumptions about your business because of a poorly designed website. First impressions are more important than you may believe.